22.6.22

Silence and guilt

   I would be lying if I said that the silence did not hurt me, for it did. It hurt me in quiet, subtle ways. It was not just the thought that I would not get to talk to him again perhaps. It was not just the worry that perhaps something might have happened to him. There was also a small, sneaking suspicion, that perhaps I am being punished. Many people have punished me with silence -  it doesn't have the same effect as yelling. The yelling makes you shut down, it blocks out every other noise. The silence on the other hand has an eroding effect.

  I felt guilty for bringing up that the distance is slowly eating away at me. I did not say it all. I did not say how in spite of it all I feel like we have turned into Penelopes both of us, him waiting for me to arrive and me waiting for him to choose himself, to get better. I did not say how painful it is to sustain it all through a screen and meeting once per year. How lonely I am, how scared out of my wits I am half the time when he's not well. 

  I feel guilty for not knowing how to love better someone who can't choose his mental health when my own has also been collapsing for years. I feel guilty for not being able to sustain this better. I feel guilty for feeling that I have been chasing after a mirage. I feel guilty for seeing and not seeing that maybe we missed our chance or maybe it has not arrived yet. I feel guilty for it all.

  It scares me shitless. It does - I don't see how I can keep hanging on and I don't see how I can stop either. And there is another fear as well: noone will accept me the way that he has. And noone has understood and responded as quickly and openly as he has. Should that not be enough? I always wanted to believe that timing was mostly a myth but it turns out sometimes timing can truly fuck you up.

  I wanted to be more poetic about this. But sometimes there are no poetic words at hand.




4 σχόλια:

  1. This reminded me of the saying, that indifference is worse than anger or hatred. I'm sorry you are going through this. Thank you for this raw post, you couldn't have said it better.

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή
  2. I can feel the anguish in your words. I get it. I have felt like I am with the right person at the wrong time. But, I am also seeing there may be no right time and accepting the way things are. We have to accept the things we cannot change instead of dwelling on them. Silence is more powerful than words, because it opens a gap for the voice in our head to fill in the details.

    You may find someone who accepts you for who you are. You will never know the light outside while you are holding on tightly to the candle in darkness. What I do know is the one I held so close as being the one, was not. Maybe she would have been in another time and place, but it doesn't matter. The reason I know she was not the one is by meeting others with better qualities that suit me. I still haven't found one person. Maybe I never will. I am becoming okay with that. But because I was forced to move on, I am now seeing more clearly who that one should be. I think it would be the same for you. If you gave it a chance.

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή
    Απαντήσεις
    1. Yes, I see your point, it is indeed good to learn how to let go. I believe it is part of that process to allow for a mourning period when that is needed.

      Διαγραφή